- Deliver effective, professional, quality service at all times both in the office and when with clients.
- Provide assistance to junior engineers, as needed, and support to senior engineers as they oversee projects from their genesis to conclusion with respect to design of various electrical systems. Tasks involve, under a licensed engineer’s guidance and management, performing most of the preparation work for project plans and construction, through data collection, calculations and drawings, while meeting project deadlines and balancing time to ensure that project deliverables are attended to in order of priority.
- Create project layout & system drawings proficiently in AutoCAD, use enhanced writing skills in reports and other correspondences, and calculate lighting, power, and acoustic loads, where necessary, in load analysis software.
- Understand and apply industry related codes and professional engineering standards.
- Obtain high-level security clearance with numerous organizations, as required.
- Possession of a valid P.Eng. or CET designation preferred.
Under the direct supervision of a Senior Engineer:
- Review project plans, requirements and budgets in order to assist senior engineer in determining client’s needs and provide value engineering.
- Provide interdisciplinary coordination and information sharing with in-house mechanical department and project engineer, as well as other consultants.
- Design clear, concise project layout & system drawings and plans using AutoCAD.
- Verify drawings & plans for compliance with regulations, contract specifications and engineering principles with respect to various electrical system designs through system analysis and familiarization with products.
- Adhere to standards such as C.S.A., I.E.S., O & NBC in all design work.
- Verify measurements, materials specified, and locations for placement of components.
- Prepare applications and assemble exhibits for permit approvals.
- Revise plans and drawings according to comments from regulatory agencies and other reviewers.
- Modify existing project drawing database to maintain an up-to-date as-built state.
- Prepare fee estimates and construction cost proposals.
- Assist with project management, with project engineer’s authorization, including provision of electrical design services; following the project’s progress from tender issue though construction completion via site surveys, site inspections and client correspondence.
- Review progress billings and CCO’s from contractor and revisions to plans.
- Provide system analysis and lighting, power, and acoustical load calculations.
- Contribute to ongoing refinement of AutoCAD procedures and office standards.
- Apply stamp and sign drawings and documents, as requested.
Physical and/or emotional effort is required while doing the following:
- Carrying ladder along during site inspections.
- Crawling through restricted spaces.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time at a computer station.
- Using computer mouse and keyboard for prolonged periods.
- Performing many, possibly late hours to meet project deadlines.
- When several projects have close or simultaneous deadlines.
- Normal office environment: sitting for prolonged periods of time at a computer station and use of computer mouse and keyboard for prolonged periods.
- Performance of tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Driver’s license and use of personal vehicle is frequently required to carry out site visits.
- Determine client’s needs and perform building system analysis and design.
- Coordinate electrical system layout with mechanical department and external consultants.
- Apply electrical engineering theory and adhere to codes.
- Prepare fee and cost estimates, as requested, and tender documents according to office standards.
- Address conditions encountered on-site.
SKILLS & UNDERSTANDING REQUIREMENTS
1. Strong Understanding of Acts, Codes and Engineering Practices
- Ontario & National Building Codes
- Ontario & National Electrical Codes
- Ontario & National Fire Codes
- C.S.A. Standards
- Local by-laws
- Utility Requirements
- I.E.S. Recommendations
2.Well-developed Understanding of Theories and Principles
- Fire alarm systems design
- Lighting design
- Circuiting and distribution
4. Proficient Skills in Tools, Methods, Techniques and Practices
- Lighting calculations
- Power load calculations
- Acoustical calculations
- Building systems’ equipment operation and installation procedures implementation
- AutoCAD and MSOffice understanding and willingness to learn new technology as the market demands
- Load analysis software to calculate power loads