- Deliver effective, professional, quality service at all times both in the office and when with clients.
- Provide assistance to senior engineers as they oversee projects from their genesis to conclusion with respect to design of electrical protection systems. Tasks involve, under a licensed engineer’s supervision, performing much of the preparation work for project plans and construction, through data collection and drawings, while meeting project deadlines and balancing time to ensure that project deliverables are attended to in order of priority.
- Become proficient in the use of AutoCAD, enhance writing skills, develop knowledge of system analysis and load calculations and gain a solid understanding of applicable industry related codes and professional engineering standards.
- Obtain high-level security clearance with numerous organizations, as required.
Under the direct supervision of either an Intermediate or a Senior Engineer:
- Become familiar with project plans, requirements and budgets in order to assist senior engineer in determining client’s needs and provide value engineering.
- Assist with interdisciplinary coordination and information sharing with in-house mechanical department and project engineer, as well as other consultants.
- Enhance design skills while drafting project layouts & systems including learning to develop clear, concise drawings and plans using AutoCAD.
- Assist in verification of drawings and plans for compliance with applicable regulations, contract specifications and engineering principles with respect to electrical systems through system analysis and familiarization with products.
- Become familiar with industry codes, standards and recommended best practices such as C.S.A., I.E.S., OBC, and NBC in all design work.
- Assist in verification of measurements, materials specified, and locations for placement of components.
- Assist in the preparation of applications and assemble exhibits for permit approvals.
- Revise plans and drawings according to comments from regulatory agencies and other reviewers.
- Modify existing project drawing database to maintain an up-to-date as-built state.
- Become familiar with the preparation of fee estimates and construction cost proposals in order to assist in the creation of them.
- Assist with project management, with project engineer’s authorization, including provision of electrical design services; following the project’s progress from tender issue though construction completion via site surveys, site inspections and client correspondence.
- Assist project engineer in review of progress billings and CCO’s from contractor and revisions to plans.
- Develop proficiency in system analysis and power load calculations.
- Contribute to ongoing refinement of AutoCAD procedures and office standards.
Physical and/or emotional effort is required while doing the following:
- Carrying ladder along during site inspections.
- Crawling through restricted spaces.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time at a computer station.
- Using computer mouse and keyboard for prolonged periods.
- Work many, possibly late, hours to meet project timelines when several projects have close or simultaneous deadlines.
- Normal office environment: sitting for prolonged periods of time at a computer station and use of computer mouse and keyboard for prolonged periods.
- Performance of tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Driver’s license and use of personal vehicle is frequently required to carryout site visits.
- Understand client’s needs and perform building system analysis and design.
- Coordinate electrical system layout with mechanical department and external consultants.
- Apply electrical engineering theory and adhere to codes.
- Prepare fee and cost estimates, as requested, and tender documents according to office standards.
- Address conditions encountered on-site, as requested.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE ASSETS
1. Familiarity with Acts and Regulations
- Ontario & National Building Codes
- Ontario & National Electrical Codes
- Ontario & National Fire Codes
- C.S.A. Standards
- Local by-laws
- Utility Requirements
- I.E.S. Recommendations
2.Understanding of Theories and Principles
- Fire alarm systems design
- Lighting design
- Circuiting and distribution
4. Application of Tools, Methods, Techniques and Practices
- Lighting calculations
- Power load calculations
- Acoustical calculations
- Building systems’ equipment operation and installation procedures implementation
- AutoCAD and MSOffice understanding and willingness to learn new technology as the market demands
- Load analysis software to calculate power loads