- Deliver effective, professional, quality service at all times both in the office and when with clients.
- Develop and manage clients and prepare proposals.
- Design electrical systems, including but not limited to, lighting, fire alarm and power.
- Supervise and manage junior and intermediate staff on projects from genesis to conclusion including evaluating their performance on preparation of work for project plans and construction, while ensuring project deadlines are met, so project deliverables are attended to in order of priority.
- Provide quality control on all deliverables and apply superior writing skills in all communications and correspondences.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of industry related codes and professional engineering standards.
- Obtain high-level security clearance with numerous organizations, as required.
- Possess a valid P.Eng. or CET designation. (Note: Use of P.Eng. stamp will be required)
- Prepare proposals, feasibility studies, cost estimates, schedules and tender documents.
- Review project plans, requirements and budgets with project team to determine client’s needs and provide value engineering, as well as document and communicate project scope to in-house team.
- Prepare electrical conceptual and detailed designs and system performance parameters and coordinate information with senior mechanical engineer & designer.
- Coordinate with client, architect, interior designer and other consultants as needed and continuously document all decisions and actions that may affect original scope of work and/or request for proposal
- Review and ensure all drawings and plans are compliant with applicable regulations, contract specifications and engineering principles with respect to systems and products.
- Adhere to standards such as C.S.A., I.E.S., O & NBC in all design work.
- Review revisions to plans and drawings, as well as construction cost estimates for quality assurance purposes.
- Manage multiple projects including provision of senior electrical design services, staff supervision, participation in design review meetings, construction administration and site review, risk mitigation and cost analysis, and managing the project’s progress from tender issue though construction completion.
- Review progress billings and CCO’s from contractor and revisions to plans for quality assurance purposes.
- Review system analysis and lighting, power, and acoustaical load calculations for quality assurance.
- Stamp and sign drawings or obtain stamp and signature from signing engineer and take ownership of errors and omissions.
Physical and/or emotional effort is required while doing the following:
- Carrying ladder along during site inspections.
- Crawling through restricted spaces.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time at a computer station.
- Using computer mouse and keyboard for prolonged periods.
- Work many, possibly late, hours to meet project timelines when several projects have close or simultaneous deadlines.
- Normal office environment: sitting for prolonged periods of time at a computer station and use of computer mouse and keyboard for prolonged periods.
- Performance of tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Driver’s license and use of personal vehicle is frequently required to carryout site visits.
- Determine client needs accurately and seek out ways to mitigate risk and errors & omissions liability.
- Control project costs at all stages of project life cycle.
- Coordinate mechanical system designs with electrical department and external consultants.
- Review mechanical engineering theory and adhere to codes.
- Prepare and/or review fees and cost estimates and tender documents according to office standards.
- Address conditions encountered on-site.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
1. Extensive Knowledge of Acts, Codes & Engineering Practices
- Ontario & National Building Codes
- Ontario & National Electrical Codes
- Ontario & National Fire Codes
- C.S.A. Standards
- Local by-laws
- Utility Requirements
- I.E.S. Recommendations
2. Understanding of Theories and Principles
- Fire alarm systems design
- Lighting design
- Circuiting and distribution
3. Superior Skills in Multiple Areas
- Lighting calculations
- Power load calculations
- Acoustical calculations
- Building systems’ equipment operation and installation procedures implementation
- AutoCAD and MSOffice understanding and willingness to learn new technology as the market demands
- Load analysis software to calculate power loads