15,000 m2, three (3) storey secondary school designed with multiple sustainable features and to OCDSB Guidelines. The facility includes classroom areas, administration, lobby gathering area, quad gymnasium with 500 seat auditorium, stage and maintenance and computer library area. The building also included specialty areas such as audio & video labs, exercise rooms and technical workshop areas. The building will be 50% or better than the model national energy code and will receive Enbridge and HPNC grants.
Sustainable Features Included
- Full energy modeling during design with evaluation of systems.
- High performance, energy efficient, fluorescent light fixtures.
- Energy efficient transformers.
- Distributed distribution system.
- Occupancy sensors for open areas and classrooms.
- Photocell and time switch controlled exterior light fixtures.
- Building automation system.
Electrical power distribution system is designed with multiple secondary branch panels and lighting control panels to facilitate future upgrades and space optimization. Workshop, cafeteria, theatre and science labs are provided with dedicated panel with controls to suit each applications. Floor, wall and ceiling mounted receptacles were provided in the classrooms, labs, A/V labs, workshop and other areas for general use and equipment connections like TV screens, projectors, Smartboard, etc. Lighting system consists of high performance T5 & T8 light fixtures with occupancy sensor control in classrooms and open areas, daylight harvesting with the use of photocell in vestibule to achieve energy savings. Specialty lighting in theatre is controlled with dimmer rack and DMX control. Full public address system for the high school and secondary interconnected system for gymnasium and theatre is provided. Communication cabling with switches; communication rack and conduit infrastructure is provided for the high school. Addressable fire alarm system with detection, signalling and supervisory device connections, door hold open device connections, audio shut-off for theatre and emergency light integration for theatres.
- Owner: Ottawa Carleton District School Board (OCDSB)
- Project Location:Nepean, ON
- Construction Completion:August 2011
- Building Type:School
- Project Type:New Construction
- Construction Value:8.25M (M&E)